top of page
THE CAMPDEN SOCIETY
"Protecting the architectural and historic quality of Chipping Campden, its open spaces and its natural setting."
Coneygree means “rabbit warren” and these fields next to the Churchyard and the site of Old Campden House would have been used to farm rabbits for meat and fur.
Largely through the efforts of Campden artist and etcher, FL Griggs (1876-1938), the National Trust bought the Coneygree in 1934. A passionate conservationist, Griggs founded the first Campden Society in 1925 and the subsidiary charity, The Campden Trust in 1929.
For further information about the history of the Coneygree or Griggs, please visit the Chipping Campden History Society’s website.
bottom of page